Monday 12 February 2018

Trying on wedding dresses: My experience and tips and advice for brides to be

Today is one year until I become Mrs Marsden! Wow just 1 year to go and I am so excited. We got engaged on December 25th 2015, all explained in my Wedding planning 2016 summary post here and time has flown by and I have found THE DRESS !


For me when I had let it sink in that I was going to be a bride, I knew straight away the style of dress I wanted to have, a ball gown style, that was sparkly and white. I dream of being a princess on my wedding day and I was dead set on the gown I found when I was browsing through Pinterest and wedding dresses and gaining inspiration from different designers. Here are a few tips for trying on wedding dresses and a few sneaky photos of a couple of the dreamy princess dresses I tried on. A girl can dream right?


1. Don't take too many people
I knew straight away that I wanted 5 people to be involved in trying on wedding dresses from the start and then I thought those 5, plus me would be too much all at once in a bridal boutique, as most are quite small, I wanted to split up the experience so it was more intimate. If you take too many people, that means a lot of voices with different opinions and contrasting looks one their faces which will be too much for you to take in at once when stood in a dress. As long as you are comfortable and let everyone have a say, EVEN if its not something you want to hear, it keeps everyone involved.

2. Have a budget in mind
Yes you walk into a store filled with beautiful gowns and you fall in love with one, but the price tag is way outta your league, what do you do? Don't let yourself even look at the dresses that are out of your budget. Decide who is paying for the dress and discuss the maximum budget. There is no point in getting yourself all in love with a dress you simply cannot afford.

3. Have a style in mind, but be open to others
This one is a bit contradicting, but have a style in mind of what you like. If you like fitted, lace dresses let the bridal consultant know at your appointment, but also try on big huge puffy ball gowns, as you never know, you may change your mind about what you THINK you like compared to what you ACTUALLY love on you.

4. Read the contract fine print -GET INSURANCE
If you purchase a dress read the fine print in the contract between you and your bridal boutique. Most stores I went to (including the one I am getting my dress from) ask for half the price at booking the dress, and then the remaining balance between 7-14 days of the dress arriving at their store. When the dress is yours once you have paid the full amount, bridal boutiques have storage off their premises for gowns that are brides property, but they aren't covered on their own insurance if they get damaged, so make sure you insure your dress and store it at home and then it is covered in your insurance that you have taken out.

5. Trust your instincts
If you are stood in a dress and everyone is telling you it looks gorgeous and say its the one, and you don't feel it, don't say yes! Even if you bring family or friends to tears during the appointment, remember it is your dress and how you feel in it, is just as important as how you look. When you find the one you will know and you WONT want to try anything else on. Trust me, I know.


Now for a little extra, here are a few photos of 2 dresses I tried on from a collection that I loved but I just couldn't say yes to. Ben, if you see these, it doesn't matter, just remember, neither of these dresses made the cut!


Do you have any tips or advice for brides to be? Leave them as a comment on the post below.


Kelley-Jay Martin


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig